Preparing Students for College and Beyond
College Advising at JECA focuses on building relationships geared toward helping students and families make wise choices regarding life after high school. The emphases we place during the Rhetoric School years are:
- Grade 9: Freshman will learn how and why to build a strong GPA, what details to record about their extracurricular activities, why service activities are important, and what to know about college admissions tests.
- Grade 10: Sophomores receive guidance in applying for academic camps and internships, complete the Strong’s Interest Inventory, practice taking standardized tests, and begin to compile a list of colleges to research or visit based on their personal interests. They will also take the CLT-10, the ACT, and the PSAT.
- Grade 11: Juniors prepare for and take the PSAT, ACT, and CLT in anticipation of the college admissions process. They will be given guidance on college applications will be encouraged to research colleges of interest to them. Students are also encouraged to begin taking college campus tours.
- Grade 12: Seniors re-take the ACT and CLT if they prefer, work one-on-one with guidance staff to submit college and scholarship applications, review financial aid offers, and decide what to do following graduation.
Important 2020/2021 Dates
- CLT (11th and 12th Graders) Wednesday, October 7, 2020 (@ JECA)
- TSAC Presentation (9th – 12th Graders) Thursday, October 8, 2020 from 7-8pm (via ZOOM)
- PSAT / NMSQT (10th and 11th Graders) Thursday, October 29, 2019 @ PVCS
- ACT Prep Class (10th, 11th, and 12th Graders) Feb 18 – April 19 2021 (click here for info)
- CLT-10 (10th Graders) Thursday, February 4th, 2021 (@ JECA)
- FAFSA DEALINE (Seniors) Monday, March 1st, 2021
- ACT (10th, 11th required – 12th Graders if they need to re-take) Wednesday, April 21, 2021 (@ JECA)
- PSAT 10 Practice
- Khan Academy (PSAT Prep)
- Classic Learning Test
- FAFSA – Application Deadline has been extended to March 1, 2021
- Tennessee Promise
- TSAC (Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation)
To speak with JECA’s college advisor, please contact email@example.com